The Wallumedegal Aboriginal tribe lived in the area between the Lane Cove River and Parramatta River, which was known as Walumetta.
In 1792, Governor Phillip began the granting of parcels of lands to marines and the area was referred to on Phillip’s maps as the Field of Mars, named after the Roman Field of Mars probably because of the military link. It contained the area of what is now Epping, along with the surrounding suburbs of Ryde and Marsfield.
Before the Homebush-Waratah railway came to Epping, the area was largely remote woodland. The coming of the railway in 1886 was the catalyst for the development of Epping as a residential suburb, which has continued over time ever since, with farmland and market gardens gradually giving way to housing.
Epping railway station was originally called ‘Field of Mars’ and then was changed to Carlingford. The first post office opened as East Carlingford. To avoid confusion, the postal department suggested changing the name of the railway station to East Carlingford, but strong opposition led to other names being suggested such as Corella and East Lynne.
In 1899 the suburb name of Epping was adopted was suggested by a local landowner William Midson (1849-1924), after a town near Epping Forest in Essex, where his father was born.
For many years Epping was at the boundary of two local government authorities: Hornsby Shire Council and City of Parramatta Council. In 2016 the NSW State Government announced that most of Epping previously within the Hornsby Shire Council boundary would be Transferred to Parramatta, with North Epping remaining as part of Hornsby.